Family-Run Brewery Destroyed by Hurricane Helene Gets Help Rebuilding From Unexpected Bene...
Cory Booker Say He Doesn’t Define Himself by Who He’s Against After Going...
Don’t Expect 24/7 Coverage of Teen Stabbed at Track Meet
Rep. Jasmine Crockett Is Going to Say She Doesn’t Like Elon Musk ‘50,000...
New Book: Barack Obama Worked 'Behind the Scenes' to Derail Kamala Harris
Letitia James Heard About a Head Start Program Closed Down Because of Trump's...
Stephanie Turner Female Athlete Who Refused to Fence Against a Male Speaks Out...
Listen, Fat: '60 Minutes' Is LYING to You About Obesity and Weight Loss
Katie Pavlich Has a GREAT Idea That Would Keep the Formerly Taxpayer Funded...
LOL: FactPost Wants You to Believe That Grocery Prices Have Already Increased By...
See You in Court! Michigan Judge Okay's White Man's Racial Discrimination Suit Against...
Sen. Mazie Hirono Declares Dan Bongino Is Not at All Qualified
CNN Lib Claims Lloyd Austin ‘Never Compromised American Lives'
BUSTED: Cali Judge Who Ruled Trump Must Fund Illegal Immigrants Has MAJOR Conflict...
SHOCKER: Comedian Bill Burr Suddenly Doesn't Want to Talk About Elon Musk ......

Some invisible children missed by invisible celebrities

The New York Times took at look at the #stopkony twitter viral story…about 48 hours after you read about it first here on Twitchy!

With more than 180,000 followers, the Twitter account for the 2012 Vans Warped Tour was one of the first accounts with large followings to share the link.

Soon, celebrities from the film and music worlds, including Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Diddy, Alec Baldwin and Olivia Wilde were joining in and posting links to the film on Facebook and Twitter. Many did so at the urging of their fans. And the hashtags #kony2012 #stopkony began to  trend worldwide on Twitter.

On Tuesday, the group got a huge boost when Ms. Winfrey began talking about the film by thanking her followers for alerting her to it and noting that she had been involved with Invisible Children and the issue for years.

Advertisement

https://twitter.com/#!/Oprah/status/177045645511761920

https://twitter.com/#!/RyanSeacrest/status/177487314472275968

Now I don’t doubt the sincerity of these celebrities in wanting to stop Kony. I simply wonder where they have been when the Taliban were using children as suicide bombers ?

From Human Rights Watch

The Taliban’s use of children as suicide bombers in Afghanistan is an egregious affront to humanity that should cease immediately, Human Rights Watch said today. In the latest incident, on August, 27, 2011, residents of Baharak district in northeastern Badakhshan province captured a 16-year-old wearing a suicide vest as he was on his way to blow up a local mosque.
There has been an alarming increase in recent months of suicide bombings, and attempted suicide bombings, by children, Human Rights Watch said. Younger and younger children have been involved. Children as young as 7 have reported that they were deployed as suicide bombers. Surviving children who trained as suicide bombers describe having been given amulets containing verses from the Quran that they were told would protect them from the explosion. They said they were told that when the bomb they carried detonated, everyone around them would die but they would survive.

Advertisement

From Leadership Post

Blindfolded and rigged with his explosive payload, the boy, who was about 13,  was driven to his target in the Afghan city of Kandahar, after being plucked  from the streets of Quetta in neighbouring Pakistan. Minutes before he was due  to execute the attack, however, Abdul realized the lies of his recruiters  seeking to turn him into a human bomb.

“When I opened my eyes, I saw it was a very black thing they wanted me to  do,” he later recalled on Afghan television.

“I began to cry and shout. People came out of their houses and asked what was  wrong. I showed them I had something in my vest. Then they were scared too and  called the police who took the bombs off me.”

From Washington Times

Pakistan’s top Taliban leader, Baitullah Mehsud, is buying children as young as 7 to serve as suicide bombers in the growing spate of attacks against Pakistani, Afghan and U.S. targets, U.S. Defense Department and Pakistani officials say.

A Pakistani official, who spoke on the condition that he not be named because of the sensitive nature of the topic, said the going price for child bombers was $7,000 to $14,000 – huge sums in Pakistan, where per-capita income is about $2,600 a year.

Advertisement

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Twitchy Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement